Turning Point offers confidential resources to individuals and families.
Volunteers and interns are a critical part of Turning Point’s services. Through the aid of volunteers, we extend our reach well beyond what our staff could provide alone.
Our well-developed programs permit our volunteers to have a real impact, either through direct work with victims of domestic violence or in spreading the word throughout the community. The vast majority of volunteers remain with Turning Point for many years.
If you are interested in providing direct service work, you must successfully complete the 45 hours of domestic violence training as required by the PCADV (Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence). Direct service volunteers/interns will also participate in an additional 10 hours of domestic violence related training annually. Turning Point of Lehigh Valley will also provide on the job training, experience, and supervision.
For indirect service work, volunteers/interns providing indirect services must successfully complete an Introduction to domestic violence training provided by Turning Point Staff. Turning Point of Lehigh Valley will also provide on the job training, experience, and supervision.
The training classes are offered several times a year and consist of 45 hours of classroom/online instruction, plus a minimum of five additional hours of “on the job” training. This training develops and enhances listening skills as well as provides information about other community services available to victims.
The amount of time required of volunteers depends on the job. Some activities involve just a few hours each month. Some are on an “as-needed” basis.
Please note that Turning Point offers empowerment counseling services. We do not provide therapy and do not offer Master’s Level advisors to supervise MSW interns.
New DV Advocate Training (nights and weekends) will start on 11/17/18.
If you are interested, please complete and submit the following application: Volunteer_Intern App_Inst_Waiver 112018
(Please note the 'Submit' button in the above referenced form does not work in 'Chrome'.)
In order for your application to be considered for volunteering, you must provide the following:
• Copy of Clearances: Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
• Copy of ChildLine (Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance through the Department of Human Services)
• Copy of FBI Criminal Background Check (fingerprint check)*
* The FBI Criminal Background Check is required if the volunteer has lived outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the last 10 years. If you have been a continuous resident of Pennsylvania for the past 10 years, you must sign a ‘Volunteer Verification for exemption from FBI Federal Criminal History Clearance’ waiver stating this is true.
Additional items for interns only:
• Recent academic transcripts for each college/university you have attended (can be unofficial copies)
• Current résumé